Dr Gowreeson Thevendran
MBChB (Bristol), MRCS.Ed, Dip. Sports Med.Ed, FRCS.Ed ( Trauma & Ortho. )
Subspecialty interest in Foot & Ankle Surgery, Arthroscopic Sports Surgery, Trauma Surgery
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, University of Bristol, England
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Diplomate Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine, Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
- English, Malay, Tamil
- Gowreeson Thevendran is an orthopaedic surgeon with a sub specialty interest in foot and ankle surgery, trauma / fracture surgery and lower extremity sports injuries. His particular skill set is minimally invasive foot and ankle surgery.
- In addition to foot and ankle conditions, he also treats ligament and cartilage injuries of the knee, performs joint replacement surgery of the hip, knee and ankle and minimally invasive fracture surgery.
- He studied medicine at the University of Bristol, England on a Public Services Department full scholarship. His basic surgical training was at the Royal Free Hospital, London, United Kingdom and the higher orthopaedic surgical specialty training on the London Northwest Thames rotation. Therafter, he pursued sub specialty fellowship training, spending 1 year at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada in foot & ankle surgery, 6 months at the Chelsea & Westminister Hospital London, UK in sports surgery and 6 months at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital, UK in complex trauma and deformity correction surgery.
- Prior to establishing his private practice, Dr. Gowreeson was Chief of Foot & Ankle Surgery, Department of Orthopaedics, Tan Tock Seng Hospital. During his tenure at TTSH, he was also Associate Programme Director of the NHG Orthopaedic Residency Training programme and Orthopaedic Lead and Assistant Professor for the Lee Kong Chian – Imperial School of Medicine. He continues to serve the Orthopaedic Department at TTSH as a visiting consultant.
- Gowreeson is committed to developing foot and ankle surgery in Singapore. He was chairman of Singapore Foot & Ankle Arthroscopy Course 2014 & 2015, chairman of the Singapore Foot & Ankle Expert Panel Symposium 2014 & 2015 and a founding member of the Singapore Foot & Ankle Society.
- Teaching is a passion of Dr. Gowreeson’s. He continues to participate as international faculty on the Royal College of England FRCS(Orth) Course, Addenbrooke’s Cambridge FRCS basic science course and the AO Foundation Course. He is an external lecturer at the School of Biological Sciences, Nanyang Technological University and examiner for the MMed(Orthopaedics) exit exams, National University of Singapore.
- In the research arena, Dr. Gowreeson has a keen interest in cartilage regeneration and bioreabsorbable implants. He pioneered the use of Magnezix bioreabsorbable screws in Singapore and the Asia Pacific region and is a principal investigator in a multicenter trial evaluating these implants. He has authored over 25 scientific articles in international peer-reviewed journals and has been an invited speaker at more than 50 regional and international orthopaedic meetings
- Gowreeson continues to volunteer with Raleigh International, Medecins Sans Frontieres and Out of Africa.
- 1995 Public Services Department Full Medical scholarship
- 1998 Enid Lindt Prize in Clinical Surgery
- 2012 NHG Critical Talent Special Recognition Award
- 2013 NHG Public Health Clinician Special Recognition Award
- 2013 Singapore Orthopaedic Association Junior Travelling Fellowship
- 2015 European Foot & Ankle Society ‘Best Podium Presentation’ Award